I'm Chris Halliday a professional genealogist and family historian based in Edinburgh. Researching my own and others family history for over 30 years, I turned a hobby into a career.After gaining an MA(Hons) in Scottish Cultural Studies and an MSc in genealogy from the Universities of Aberdeen and Strathclyde, I established Scotland's Genealogy. I'm also a member of the following professional bodies and societies:
- Association of Scottish Genealogists and Researchers in Archives
- (ASGRA) and adhere to their code of practice.
- The Scottish Genealogy Society
- The Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society
- Association of Professional Genealogists
- The Scottish Place Name Society
- Data Protection registered
Based in the Scottish capital,I have ready access to the main national repositories:archives,libraries and museums.However I also travel throughout Scotland visiting local archives and places associated with clients ancestry.Geographical areas I'm particularly familiar with are: Edinburgh, Dundee, Inverness, Dumfries & Galloway, the Borders and Strathspey.
Not just a desk bound researcher, I'm a keen hillwalker exploring areas off the beaten track and thoroughly enjoy combining research in the archives with visiting locations throughout Scotland.
Please contact me if I can be of further assistance,whether you are just beginning the search for your Scottish ancestry or have years of experience.
- Exhibited at Who Do You Think You Are ?Live,London Olympia 2012.
- Research and photography for Highland Year of Culture 2007 exhibition at Grantown-on Spey museum - The Birth of the Modern Highlands,now on permanent display in the Highland Archive,Inverness.
- Published article in the quarterly journal of the Scottish Genealogy Society 2010
- Monthly articles in The Celtic Guide magazine.
- Article in Family Tree magazine Feb 2013
- Article in Family Tree magazine Oct 2013
- Article in Family Tree magazine Dec 2013
NEW JUST LAUNCHED CHECK OUT ScotlandsGenealogy eMag